Saturday, May 12, 2012

1 Nephi 15&16 Steps to Success

What I love most about this story (Nephi breaks the last bow) is that it's so relatable. We've all been in those situations when things are a little rocky in family dynamics and the world is crashing down because no one is getting along. Nephi breaks the cycle though with his usual can do attitude and gives us a lovely pattern to follow. When there is a problem (family related or otherwise) these must be:
1) Recognition
2) Action
3) Humility
4) Prayer/Counsel God
5) Repentance
6) Gratitude
I've been testing Nephi's model with some various hypothetical situations, and in some degree all of these points need to be employed for success. Whether it is the offender or the offended that needs to follow the steps, they are all used.

Recognition
Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, having been
afflicted with my brethren because of the loss
of my bow, and their bows having lost their springs,
it began to be exceedingly difficult, yea,
insomuch that we could obtain no food.
1 Nephi 16:21

Action
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of
wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, and arrow;
wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and
an arrow, which a sling and with stones.
1 Nephi 16:23

Humility
And I said unto my father:
Whither shall I go to obtain food?
1 Nephi 16:23

Prayer/Counsel God
And it came to pass that he did inquire of the Lord, . . .
1 Nephi 16:24

Repentance
And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came
unto my father; and he was truly chastened because
of his murmuring against the Lord, insomuch that
he was brought down into the depths of sorrow.
1 Nephi 16:25

Gratitude
. . . and now when they beheld that I had obtained
food, how great was their joy! And it came to
pass that they did humble themselves before
the Lord, and did give thanks unto him. 
1 Nephi 16:32 

All the steps mush together, but you get the idea. You should read the chapter though, because these few excerpts don't do it justice. It's interesting to me how many times humility is mentioned. There is really no room for pride when it comes to families.  

No comments:

Post a Comment