Tuesday, May 15, 2012

1 Nephi 19&20 OBEY

And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men.
1 Nephi 19:9

I don't really know what to say. This verse makes me shrink and also feel so much gratitude for our Savior. He did these things for US because of His loving kindness. A part of me wants to be angry with those who crucified Him. On Palm Sunday, His followers were laying palm branches at his feet and saying, "Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord" (John 12:13). Days later the same people cried, "Crucify him, crucify him" (Luke 23:21). However, in God's great mercy, He arranged for our redemption through the blood of His Lamb. We couldn't prevent Christ's crucifixion and sufferings, but we can prevent His sufferings now by obeying His word and loving our fellow men. We can do so by showing the same kindness he showed us in "his long-suffering towards the children of men." We DO NOT have to be like the people described in 1 Nephi 19:7.   

For the things which some men esteem
to be of great worth, both to the body and soul,
others set at naught and trample under their feet.
Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample
under their feet; I say, trample under their feet
but I would speak in other words—they set him
at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels. 
1 Nephi 19:7


1 Nephi 20 reminds us of many promises we have when we obey. If we hearken we will have peace like a river, righteousness as the waves of the sea, and seed numerous as the sand (1 Nephi 20:18-19). The Lord points out many times in this chapter that these things are not a secret. Since the beginning of time, He has let us know what is expected of us. We have no excuse to disobey!

Come ye near unto me; I have not spoken 
in secret; from the beginning, from the
time that it was declared have I spoken;
and the Lord God, and his Spirit, hath sent me. 
1 Nephi 20:16

A quick note back to 1 Nephi 19. It's easy to become discouraged when you're trying to invite others to Christ, but remember, our success is ALWAYS in the invitation alone.

Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, did teach my brethren these things; and it came to pass that I did read many things to them, which were engraven upon the plates of brass, that they might know concerning the doings of the Lord in other lands, among people of old. And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.
1 Nephi 19:22-23 

No comments:

Post a Comment